Motorola has announced that 2014 series Moto G is eligible to get Android Marshmallow, but there is no word on when the update would be deployed to the device.
The company is currently focused on rolling out the software to the 2015 series — Moto X and Moto G. If we go by the previous release pattern, it will take another two months if not more for the update to get pushed to Moto G owners.
If patience is not your strongest suit, then you can try CyanogenMod’s CM13 custom ROM.
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the CyanogenMod CM13 Nightly):
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation. [Read more: How to Root Motorola Moto G with Android Lollipop via CF-Auto-Root Tool ]
- This CyanogenMod CM13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM can be installed on 2nd Gen Moto G (3G ) Titan and Thea (4G) models – if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your device (Moto G) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted in the mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod CM13 [official] Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM nightly on Motorola Moto G (Gen 2) –
Step 1: After Downloading the CyanogenMod CM13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM nightly and Google Apps in to your PC, connect Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen) to PC via USB cord.
[Scroll down to find the downloadable CM13 series files]
Step 2: Place Android Marshmallow Custom ROM zip file and Google Apps file into the phone’s memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users’ begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 3: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 4: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding ‘Volume (Down)’ and ‘Power’ buttons.
Step 5: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing ‘wipe data/factory reset’
[Note: use ‘Volume’ keys to navigate and ‘Power’ button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 6: Clear the cache memory by selecting ‘wipe cache partition’
Step 7: Go back to Recovery mode, and select ‘advanced’ and tap ‘wipe dalvik cache’ [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 8: Come back to main recovery screen and then tap ‘install zip from SD card’
Step 9: Tap ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and go to Android ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure again to install the Google Apps. [Note: use ‘Volume’ keys to navigate and ‘Power’ button to select options]
Step 10: Once done with the installation process, navigate to ‘+++++Go Back+++++’ and re-start the device by opting ‘reboot system now’ seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Moto G series) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod CM13 Android v6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM nightly.