Experienced Representation for the Most Serious Cases
Here at Kalka & Baer, LLC, we’ve built a reputation for fighting for car accident victims rights and have earned recognition in Georgia’sSuper Lawyers® and Georgia Trend’s Legal Elitewhile doing so. It’s because we know how particularly devastating car accidents can be—not just on a person’s health, but on their finances—that we fight aggressively and incisively on behalf of the victims who need it.
In Georgia and nationwide, driver negligence is one of the major causes of car accidents. Whether the driver was texting while driving, or speeding, it’s not difficult for a rear-end collision or a side-impact crash to cause severe, if not life-threatening injuries for the accident victim. Many accidents occur on the GA 400 highway each year and we have represented many individuals who have suffered injuries from these types of accidents.
Representation for Victims with Serious Injuries
A car wreck can be a traumatic experience, both physically and emotionally. It can also be costly and time consuming, resulting in numerous bills for car repair, medical treatment, and related costs. If you have been injured in a car accident, you may be able to seek compensation for your injuries.
Our injury attorneys have represented clients who suffered the following types of injuries:
- Lacerations, fractures, and burns
- Traumatic brain injury
- Neck injuries
- Leg, knee and foot injuries
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Arm, shoulder and hand injuries
- Psychological trauma such as post-traumatic stress disorder
Any of these injuries can occur in a car accident and, depending upon their severity, may require long hospital stays and intensive medical care, which can lead to the additional stress of lost wages. Additionally, factors like multi-vehicle accidents or uninsured motorists can make matters complex and cloud the assignment of accountability. That’s why having a proven Atlanta car accident attorney on your side that understands these hardships and complications is key to navigating a successful claim.
What Compensation is Available After a Crash?
If you are left with serious injuries that prevent you from returning to work or that require extensive medical treatment, then you will need to hold the other person accountable for his or her negligent driving and actions. If you are involved in a car crash with a negligent driver, it is important that you hire a skilled personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
An experienced attorney will be able to explain your rights and may be able to obtain financial compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Physical therapy
- Ongoing care
- Loss of services
- Loss of a spouse
- Lost wages
- Instances of pain and suffering
Let Us Deal With the Insurance Companies
You and your family should not have to suffer damages due to such carelessness; however, you will have to negotiate with the negligent individual’s insurance company to receive your compensation. Insurance adjusters are trained professionals who know how to save their insurance companies money at your expense. They know every trick in the book that will help them lessen the amount of compensation they owe you. Hiring a skilled attorney will give you an advantage, since your lawyer will know how to negotiate with the adjuster to get you what you deserve.
Distracted Driving: A National Concern
The U.S. Department of Transportation has taken it upon itself to lead the effort against distracted driving, particularly texting and cell phone use behind the wheel. Since 2009, DOT has held two national distracted driving summits, banned texting and cell phone use for commercial drivers, and encouraged states to adopt tough laws, and launched campaigns to raise the public’s awareness about the dangers of texting while driving.
Common forms of distracted driving include:
- Texting while driving
- Using a cell phone or a smartphone
- Eating or drinking
- Using a navigational system
- Applying cosmetics
- Adjusting the radio, DVD player, CD player, or an MP3 player
Due to the fact that sending and receiving text messages require visual, manual and cognitive attention from the driver, texting while driving is the most alarming and dangerous form of driver distraction. In 2011 alone, 3,331 people were killed in accidents involving a distracted driver, and an additional 387,000 people were injured in distracted driving crashes. (NHTSA)
Other Major Causes of Car Accidents in Atlanta
Aside from speeding, drunk driving and distracted driving, other factors can contribute to dangerous car accidents, some of which include:
- Drivers who are impaired by illegal drugs or even lawfully prescribed medications. There are a number of prescriptions on the market that cause marked drowsiness, confusion, visual disturbances and sleep. Common medications that cause drowsiness include anticonvulsants (used to treat epilepsy and seizures), antidepressants, antiemetics (used to treat nausea), antihistamines or other allergy medications, sedatives or tranquilizers. The sedating effects of these medications can be magnified when they are combined with alcohol.
- Dangerous road conditions. This includes obstacles in the road (such as objects that have fallen out of vehicles), animals crossing the road, poor weather conditions such as wind, rain, fog, ice or snow.
- Hazardous road design or layout, as well as defects in the road that need repair. Potholes, shrubs or other objects that obstruct view, and other surface conditions can cause accidents. The causes may be subtle but repeated accidents in the same stretch of road are indications that a problem exists.
- Mechanical failure and defects in automotive design can be a factor. While these are less common causes than driver negligence, still, faulty brakes, or a defective tire, or some other flaw in the design or manufacturing of the automobile can lead to serious accidents.
We’re Ready to Fight for You Today
If you or someone you love has been seriously injured in a car wreck, you need to contact Kalka & Baer LLC as soon as possible. An experienced Atlanta car accident lawyer in our office can help you determine if you need legal assistance, as well as help you understand your rights and options. You will not pay anything until we recover compensation.